Pages

Thursday 12 May 2011

Let's Go To The Movies

I love films but it seems in the last year I haven't been able to see that many.  However, thanks to a lovely free trial of online DVD rental I'm finally getting to catch up and i've seen some crackers.  I thought I'd do some quick reviews of the ones I can remember! 

3.5 out of 5
The Social Network: Computer geek brings about the demise of the productive workday.
 
Positvies: Superbly acted and strangely watchable.

Negatives: None of the people involved are particularly likeable






4.5 out of 5
Inception: Lucid dreaming with guns and a big budget.

Positives: Not nearly as complicated as people said. Interesting, ambiguous ending.  Joseph Gordon Levitt is HOT in this movie!

Negatives (sort of): First 10 minutes play almost exactly like Justin Timberlake's Sexy Back video which meant I spent most of the movie dreaming of Justin Timberlake in sexy back video (apart from of course when I was dreaming of Joseph Gordon Levitt).



4 out of 5
Easy A: Teen pretends to sleep around in order to become more popular
 
Positives: Stanley Tucci , Stanley Tucci, Stanley Tucci! Actually a lot smarter than it first appears and very very funny in parts.  
 
Negatives: You know I can't really think of any.  It did exactly what it should have for a movie like this.



 
3.5 out of 5

Shutter Island: US Marshall sent to Alcatraz style prison asylum to find escapee prisoner.

Positives: Creepy without being scary and interesting 'reveal'. 

Negatives: The twist isn't exactly a shocker but actually that doesn't impinge on enjoyment of movie.   




3.5 out of 5
The Time Traveler's Wife: Time traveler grooms young girl by  convincing her he's her husband from the future.

Positives: As someone who enjoyed (but didn't love) the book this movie was remarkably enjoyable.  A lot funnier than expected.  The character of Clare is a lot more likable in the film than the book.  

Negatives: It's all a little bit schmaltzy for my taste.



 

5 out of 5
500 Days of Summer: He was a boy.  She was a girl.  Could I make it anymore obvious? *

Positives: One of the best movies I have seen in years.   Made me laugh out loud on many many occasions. Not that soppy and surprisingly up-beat. LOVED IT! 

Negatives: It ended.  I could have watched it for several hours more and then rewound it and watched it again.   


2.5 out of 5
Hot Tub Time Machine: The title pretty much does my job for me here. 

Positives: Despite all the odds this made me laugh, quite a lot actually.  Is really just a homage to 80's movies. 

Negatives: It's about a hot tub time machine!  




3 out of 5 

Burlesque:  Small town girl wants to makes it big in the dance world by singing. Also some nonsense about selling sky!

Positives: Stanley Tucci , Stanley Tucci, Stanley Tucci! Surprisingly enjoyable and some nice fun dance numbers.

Negatives: Cher's face is completely distracting.  Contains about as much legitimate burlesque as a Pussycat Dolls video.
Score is mainly down to dance numbers if i'm honest.

 
* I never thought I would ever quote Avril Lavigne lyrics in public!

1 comment:

  1. We loved Easy A too- surprised by how funny it was! Emma Stone is a great actress (although I couldn't get that 'Pocket full of Sunshine' song out of my head for ages- haha!)

    ReplyDelete

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just choose name/url and you won't be asked to login.