Pages

Wednesday 21 December 2011

There May Be Trouble Ahead

Well ladies and gentlemen, it has been a while hasn't it?  I am in fact still here and still breathing. Life*, Work** & sheer laziness*** have kept me from keeping you informed of my comings and goings.  With that in mind then it's clearly got to be something really special to have lured me back onto my poor neglected blog and boy would you be right.  Yes world, It appears I have a new musical love.

If you know my father (and I know some of you do) you'll know 4 things about him:
  1. His hair is just crazy (to the point of madness)
  2. He's amazing (to the point of madness)
  3. He's fair (to the point madness) 
  4. He can sense whether something is great, or shite, in about 2 seconds flat
Now I'm not claiming to have inherited all of these characteristics but two I definitely have.  Point 4 thankfully is one of them.  I know virtually instantly if I'm going to love or hate something, especially when it comes to music.  As an example, when I was 18 I once bought three albums by an artist based on a 5 second snippet of song I heard on a TV programme.  After listening to them, I was vindicated and in fact still own (and listen to) the three albums today.

I can't even count how many times my husband has scolded me for spontaneously downloading albums in the middle of things, based on snippets of songs I've overheard.  I stand by it though.  I've rarely, if ever, been wrong!  My latest find however is a real corker.

Sky Arts played sets from most of the major festivals this year and one of the sets included a couple of songs from soul rock band Vintage Trouble.  After about 30 seconds I turned to Bryan and decreed that they were good.  A few minutes later I had acquired the album and my great taste in music was celebrated by one by all (well, me and Bry mostly). Also, as luck would have it they were coming to Cardiff in Dec and better than that tickets were £9.  Bloody marvellous!


The concert was on Monday 19th December at the Glee Club and my God was it good.  Put quite simply, this was one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

The BEST concert I've ever been to was Prince.  An absolutely mind blowing performance from one of the greatest (irregardless of whether you love or loathe him) musicians in the world. Stiff competition for a band from LA that's been together for less than 2 years. In all honesty though, they're not too far behind!

The lead singer Ty Taylor has a voice that simply makes you want to lick everything in the room.  Note perfect and smoother than a cashmere codpiece he damn near hypnotises you.  Nalle Colt on guitars is a marvel.  There's a guitar solo towards the end of  'Run Outta You' that makes you want to drop to your knees ( in prayer people, in prayer).  Richard Danielson on drums and Rick Barrio Dill on Bass are also just incredible.

Thanks to the drunken dancing of one of our little party of 5 (I'm too nice to mention names) we managed to secure a surprisingly large dance floor for such a small venue and took full advantage of it.  In fact I danced so hard I couldn't actually bend my knees for a full 24hours after.  Physical injury, a sign of a good concert if ever there was one.

I always feel it's a great privilege to see great talent on the way up.  I have no doubt that Vintage Trouble are going to become huge.  Next time we get to see them in Cardiff I expect the band (and venue), will be much bigger.

A friend who had already seen the band said to me "I thought they were great musicians with great stage presence, but I didn't think that their songs are as good as the ones in their record collections". A rather smart and funny comment I thought and yes, I can see there's some truth to it.  The band have some very clear influences and with those in mind, some bloody big shoes to fill.  Give them a few years though. I've no doubt they'll get there.  I for one shall be watching them very closely.

Now as to the second quality i've inherited from my dad.  I'll let you decide.

I leave you now with Vintage Trouble on Jools Holland.  Enjoy!


*     Twitter
**   Twitter
*** Not Twitter

1 comment:

  1. you got the amazing gene as well,THANK GOD you didnt get the hair one what a nightmare that would have been. lol :-)

    ReplyDelete

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just choose name/url and you won't be asked to login.